Skip to main content

Is Faith Enough?


What do you believe and why?
I use to define faith as a confidence or a trust in the things you believe in. Regardless of evidence to the contrary, your faith was sufficient to discover if something is true or not. First, you have faith then you gain knowledge. This works great in Mormonism. You can take an unusual or extraordinary claim, tell someone to just have faith that it's true, and if they pray hard enough and believe that they'll receive an answer, an answer is revealed through feelings of joy and comfort. That's how you can know something is true. Your confidence grows with your faith and you learn to trust this pattern more and more because you feel happier and happier.


Similar to most other Christian based religions, Mormons have a tendency to defend their belief in God or other claims based on personal revelation and experience. Faith is just the starting point. In order to KNOW something is true, you have to receive a personal answer or witness. The process by which to receive these answers is to search, ponder, and pray. But still, in order for these steps to work, you must first have faith or at least a desire to have faith.

However, when I consider the fact that everyone else in every other religion uses faith as their own tool to defend their beliefs, there seems to be a problem. If God is not the author of confusion, wouldn't faith and prayer be a fail proof system by which to figure out what he wants? It shouldn't matter at all if you were raised Muslim, Christian, Jewish, or anything else. If God truly wants to reveal truth to you, that truth should be the same across the board. So why so many conflicting beliefs and claims?

On The Atheist Experience, a common response to claims of faith is asking the caller if there is anything they COULDN'T believe by faith? Meaning, couldn't someone just say they believe something outrageous and then claim they believe it is true because of faith. Then there wouldn't be anything someone couldn't justify by using faith as their reason. If that is the case, then doesn't faith go out the window? I could say that God considers white people to be the superior race. I could then say that I believe that's true because of faith and I would be completely justified in the realm of faith claims. This is the problem. Faith only works for personal beliefs or truths and is not a reliable tool in discovering truth for all.


Faith is an excuse for lack of evidence.
 - Charles Darwin
Faith is the excuse people give for believing something when they don't have good reason. Faith is not a reliable pathway to knowledge or understanding.
 - Matt Dillahunty
If faith is not reliable in discovering actual truth, then it fails as a principle in finding religious truth.
-Me


My struggles with accepting faith as a good reason to believe anything began during my mission. After my mission, I still tried to believe the claims of the church and hold a belief in God based on faith, but eventually I realized that faith simply wasn't a good enough reason to justify my beliefs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Telling My Wife I Don't Believe

I finally told my wife that I no longer believe. At the beginning of this year, The Mormon Church made some significant changes to the ceremonies in the temple. Growing up in the church, it was common to hear how priesthood ordinances like baptism and temple work were unchanging and had to be done exactly to script. Because of this, we would frequently mock the Catholic church for how often they change their ceremonies and practices to suit more modern audiences. However, now that there are several changes being made to the Mormon ceremonies, most members of the church are praising these amazing "new revelations."

An Introduction

The goal of this blog is to express my own journey out of theistic belief with an emphasis on LDS (Latter Day Saints/Mormon) indoctrination. I will not be attacking specific doctrines or church history. Rather, It is my hope that by working through my own thoughts and struggles I can inspire and support those who may be in similar situations and to inform others how this transition can be a difficult one. I plan on exploring topics like faith, morals, the supernatural, depression, and more. Please feel free to comment and discuss as I am open to alternative perspectives and insight. For more info, please visit my about me page.

Hope For My Kids

My oldest son has a very intuitive mind. Even when he was a toddler he would think things through very carefully and be really observant. As he grew up, he would constantly ask questions about how something worked or what it does. I even remember when he was about 4 years old, he sincerely asked my wife why he should love Jesus. He asked: I don't really know him, he's not here, so why do I need to love him? I think my wife answered something about how even if we don't see him, we should still love him because he's the savior. He has asked these types of questions about the church and my wife usually gives the standard church answer. If he asks me, I try to turn it back on him and ask what he thinks. I think it's a great exercise in critical and skeptical thinking.